Farhad Hafezi is a swiss eye surgeon and researcher. Hafezi is internationally recognized as a pioneer of corneal cross-linking (CXL) for treating keratoconus and a pacemaker in translating CXL principles to new applications like infectious keratitis.
The “Power-List” 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020 in Ophthalmology
In 2014, Prof. Hafezi was voted by peers onto the “PowerList”, a biennial list of the 100 most influential international personalities in ophthalmology. Since 2016, Hafezi was continuously voted onto the PowerList
- Partner of GroupAdvance (Management) Consulting GmbH, Zug, Switzerland
- Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, USC Roski Eye Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
- Visiting Professor of Ophthalmology, Wenzhou Medical University, China
- Medical Director, The ELZA Institute, Zurich, Switzerland
- Research Group Leader, Center for Applied Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine (CABMM), University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Prof. Hafezi’s clinical focus are the cornea and complication management after complicated refractive laser surgery. He was instrumental in implementing corneal cross-linking technology in ophthalmology.
- From 2010 to 2014, Farhad Hafezi was Professor and Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology of the Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland. In 2012, he was also appointed Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at the Department of Ophthalmology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California (USC) Los Angeles.
Publications, International Activities, Awards
- By 2017, Prof. Hafezi has published more than 160 scientific articles, and his scientific work has been cited more than 6’100 times, his total impact factor is 570 and his h index is 41.
- He is an Associate Editor of the “Journal of Refractive Surgery” and on the Editorial Board of the “International Journal of Keratoconus and Ectatic Corneal Disease”, “Current Eye Research” and the “Iranian Journal of Ophthalmology”. He frequently moderates courses at the ESCRS (European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery) and the AAO (American Academy of Ophthalmology).
- Prof. Hafezi is also a member of the Advisory Board of “Global ONE”, the educational network of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
- Prof. Hafezi has received 23 national and international awards and distinctions, both for his scientific work and for the development of new technologies (innovation awards). Awards include, amongst others, the ARVO Foundation/Carl Camras Translational Research Award (USA) 2014, as well as the highest distinctions in ophthalmology of Switzerland and Belgium.
For more information, see here.